Sunday, December 23, 2012


As I reflect back on the last eight weeks of this section of the course there were several things I have learned about myself regarding my particular preferred learning style and how I will apply that in my career as an Instructional Designer. One of the things I found striking is that loss of memory is equated to loss of synapses in the brain and it is “both inevitable and desirable” (Ormrod, 2008, p. 45). I knew from my medical and environmental background that prenatal and childhood exposures to environmental contaminants, as well as head injury or certain childhood illnesses can impact developing brains which in turn can impact learning.

Another point that I have reflected on was how this course has deepened my understanding of my own personal learning process. During Week 1 I wrote in my discussion that I felt that as students we learn from all three learning styles; behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructionism. As before, I still feel that although I learned the most from the behaviorism and cognitive, my favorite learning style is still adaptive constructivism since it reminds me of a “Who done it?” type mystery where you are given all the clues in a case and you have to solve the mystery. And as before, although I enjoy the constructivism learning style I still find that it is not practical for the common skills needed for routine day to day activities.

I have also learned that there is a difference between a learning theory and a learning style. According to Dr. Artino, a learning style refers to the notion that “individuals differ in regard to what mode of instruction or study is most effective for them” (Pashler, McDaniel, Rohrer, & Bjork, 2008, p. 105).  On the other hand, a learning theory explains the underlying psychological processes that influence learning. A learning theory usually includes a set of assumptions about key aspects of the learning process that can be used to generate hypotheses which can then be tested.  And finally, a learning strategy is a cognitive or behavioral activity used to improve learning (e.g., selecting, organizing, and integrating new information, studying in a quiet place, use of elaboration, using mnemonic devices to remember new material). Another new concept I have learned is the motivation that drives the intrinsic and extrinsic learner. The intrinsic learner learns for personal satisfaction and fulfillment while the extrinsic leaner tend to be more materialistic, seeking tangible rewards such as money, position, social status and other benefits. Each form of motivation can be used to create an effective learning environment. Through the course readings and personal experience I have learned that educational technology is creating multi-dimensional learning opportunities to the tech savvy learner. Technology has advanced so far in as little as five years starting from the use of desktop personal computers to now using hand held devices for all internet and computing needs. Information storage is no longer limited to the space available in the device but to this vast “cloud” with no boundaries on storage capacity (Mell & Grance, 2011, p.2).  The only limit is the ability to access the site with the technology in your hand held device.

Here I sit late on a Sunday night and I thinking “How will the last eight weeks help me as a future Instructional Designer?” It is a hard question to answer at the moment but I do think that somewhere down the road, I will reflect back on what I have learned here, and if I haven’t replaced this memory with something newer that has made my synapses fire even faster, I should be able to recall the different theories and styles and motivations that affect learning and apply it to a course I will be designing either for an online or onsite learning environment.

Reference:

Mell, P., & Grance, T., (2011). The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing, National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce, NIST Special Publication 800-145 retrieved December 12, 2012 from http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf

Ormrod, J. E., Copyright 2008, Learning Theories and Instruction Chapter 2, "Learning and the Brain" (p. 45–46) Laureate Education, Inc., Published by Merrill

Pashler, H., McDaniel, M., Rohrer, D., & Bjork, R., Copyright 2008, Learning Styles - Concepts and Evidence, (p. 105-119) Published in the journal of Physiological Science in the Public Interest, 2009, Volume 9 –Number 3

No comments:

Post a Comment